Building and growing an independent information professional business – taking the global view
Heather recently presented to the Association of Independent Information Professionals (AIIP) at their 24th Annual Conference in Cleveland OH.
She shared her experiences on the opportunities, and challenges, arising from operating an IIP business from Australia.
Heather talked about needing world of contacts, making a strong connection and good local knowledge for building a global business.
A world of contacts
- You need a world of contacts to build a global independent research business.
- It’s vitally important to have a base of very good contacts to refer, recommend, sub-contract or to mention you.
Make a strong connection
- If your contacts are beyond your borders, you need a good, strong online presence to bridge the distance and start building long standing connection.
- You also need to build into your relationship, a lot of points where you regularly keep in touch with your clients and contacts, to build on your connection, and keep your contacts in the loop, just as you would if you met them regularly.
Good local knowledge
- A researcher’s specialist knowledge and access to good, reliable information sources is the backbone of an independent researcher’s business.
- Flaunt your outstanding knowledge of your area of expertise.
About the Association of Independent Information Professionals (AIIP)
AIIP members are owners of firms providing such information-related services as online and manual research, document delivery, database design, library support, consulting, writing, and publishing.
AIIP has a membership of more than 500 business owners from more than 20 countries around the world, providing research and consulting services across a wide variety of industries. (www.aiip.org)